Monday, March 7, 2011


Cancer is Trauma for the person grappling with living and dying, for the kids, for the partner, for the community of friends and family. [excerpted from "nancy's list"]

In my experience as a woman who was diagnosed 7 years ago with breast cancer, a marriage family therapist and practicing in West Los Angeles I have many conversations with people living with cancer, their children, and their loved ones.

When I was diagnosed, I had the immensely good fortune to be treated by an especially wise team of physicians who understood the profound emotional roller-coaster facing this diagnosis.   Seeking the support of a capable therapist is vital in helping to facilitate navigating the emotional terrain.  Even with supportive family and friends, finding preferably the professional who had lived with cancer and who had endured the torment and ambiguities and deep core questioning, research has indicated, can be life enhancing and healing in extraordinary ways.

It is my hope that more people in the healing professions recognize the critical need and value of a professional psychological relationship
for their patients coping with the trauma of cancer.

I am a Marriage Family Therapist and my practice is about holding hands and hearts. Sometimes, the conversations are very difficult as we ponder the mystery and uncertainty and fear and sadness and disappointment.  Sometimes, oftentimes, our conversations are almost liberating and exhilarating as "my clients" discover how to bring meaning to their experience and how to consciously create their lives
so that they are “living a life that matters”.

My clients are from many parts of Los Angeles, many come to my office, many I see in their home or hospital(s), others call on the phone and some visits may be arranged on Skype.

Please consider the benefits for your patient or your friend (or you).
I appreciate your referrals.  Thank you for your trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment